Sunday, January 1, 2012

In Free Fall Without a Golden Parachute

Friday was my last offical day of work, but I wasn't at work. I was using up my last day of personal time so, technically, I did not officially become unemployed until Saturday. When people would ask me how I was doing in the last few weeks, I would answer "so far, so good." They didn't know it, but that is a quote from "The Magnificent Seven." Steve McQueen's character told a story about a man who had fallen out of a window in a tall building and, as he passed each floor, people heard him say, "So far, so good!" Well, that's how I feel about it. Today is the first day of the new year and it seems the future is more of a question than in previous years. I am not the only one facing uncertainty, of course, but it is amazing how empathy falls short when you experience something for the first time that you know others have already been through. What an opportunity to develop a better sense of understanding of others and, in the meantime, enjoy that rush of wind in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment